Courgette Spice Cake
This is a very aromatic moist cake. If you do not like cloves I would suggest that you omit or reduce the amount or you could add ground ginger instead. I usually reduce the sugar to 150 g or less – this is a personal preference for less sweet cakes.
- 2 eggs
- 170g sugar
- 170g plain flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- I teaspoon ground cloves
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 225g grated courgettes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 85g chopped walnuts
- 85 ml sunflower oil
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas 3. Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and spices into a large bowl.
3. Beat the eggs and add the sugar, oil and vanilla essence, mix and add the courgettes and walnuts.
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour, add the egg mixture. Mix and pour into the loaf tin.
5. Bake for about 1½ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Do not open the oven door until the cake has been in the oven for 1¼ hours or it will sink in the centre.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes and turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Courgette and Orange Muffins
- 250g courgettes, grated
- 100g sultanas
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 large eggs
- 175ml sunflower oil
- 200g light brown sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 60g almonds, toasted and chopped
- Grated zest of an orange
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole large muffin tin with muffin cases (or, to make 1 big cake, grease and line a 23cm round, loose-bottomed cake tin).
2. Grate the courgettes and if very moist leave to drain in a sieve or squeeze gently.
3. Put the sultanas in a saucepan with the orange juice and honey. Bring to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the raisins are plump and the liquid is almost absorbed remove from the heat.
4. Put the eggs, sunflower oil and sugar in a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk for about 3 minutes, until creamy. Sift over flour and baking powder and fold into the egg mixture. Fold in the almonds, courgettes, sultanas, and orange zest.
4. Spoon into the muffin cases or tin and bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes or the cake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
5. Leave the muffins or cake to cool in the tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.