- 1.5kg granulated sugar
- 2kg prepared strawberries
- 1 tbsp Sichuan pepper corns (crushed not ground)
- 4 lemons (juice)
- Cut any larger strawberries into halves or quarters, place in a bowl, add the sugar, cover with a tea towel and leave for 8 hours in a cool place until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the fruit and lemon juice to a preserving pan and simmer at a low heat for 30-40 minutes. Stir occasionally and remove from the heat once the setting point has been reached (when the last drop of juice hangs on the spoon).
- Add the crushed pepper corns.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, screw on the lids and turn the jars upside down until they are cool.
- Label and store in a cool place for up to 6 months
- If the macerated strawberries produce a lot of juice, pour off the excess syrup (use for flavouring ice cream).
- This is a soft preserve so do not expect a firm set.
- The strawberries are cooked at a low heat (not a rolling boil) so it will take longer for the setting point to be reached.